Monday, February 11, 2013

#Bundtamonth Malted Chocolate Bundt Cake with Malted Glaze

For the month of February the #bundtamonth ingredient to use is chocolate. My son was in heaven when I told him this.  He absolutely loves chocolate. I decided to use up some of the ingredients that I have in my pantry. I seen the malted chocolate powder and I had to try it.  I have used it previously in drinks but never a cake.  This cake turned out so moist and delicious.  I usually don't eat chocolate cake but I definitely will be getting a second serving. Baking is like an experiment to me.  One will never know if it works unless you try it. Fortunately, for me it turned out good. For this little challenge I decided to use my mini-bundt pans.





Please note: when utilizing mini-bundt pans fill the batter half way up instead of 2/3.  The cake rose slightly higher.



Ingredients:
-3oz chocolate (melted)
-1 stick unsalted butter (room temp)
-2 1/4 cup light brown sugar
-3 eggs (room temp)
-1 tbsp. vanilla extract
-2 tsp. baking soda
-1/2 tsp. salt
-2 1/4 cups cake flour
-1 cup sour cream
-1 cup boiling water
-1/4 cup chocolate malted milk powder

Directions:
Preheat oven 350 degrees and spray bundt pan with nonstick cooking spray.
Cream butter until smooth in large bowl.
Add brown sugar and eggs and beat until fluffy.
Add vanilla and melted chocolate, baking soda and salt.
Add flour and sour cream alternatively. Starting with flour and ending with flour.
Add malted milk powder to the cup of boiling water and stir until dissolved.
Add the milk powder mixture to the cake batter. (batter will thin down)
Add cake batter to bundt pan and bake until tooth pick comes out the center of the cake clean. Usually between 40-45 minutes.

Malted Glaze

Ingredients:
-1/4 cup chocolate chips (melted)
-1 cup sifted confectioners sugar
-1/4 cup malted milk powder
-4 tbsp. milk
-2 tbsp butter (softened)
-1 tsp. vanilla

Place chocolate chips in microwave until melted. (In 30 second increments)
In a medium bowl mix on low speed confectioner sugar, malted powder, milk, butter and vanilla.
Add in melted chocolate and mix until well combined.
Drizzle over cooled cake.

Optional:
Sift confectioners sugar over top of glaze.

Whenever I decide to bake a cake I mostly utilize Swans Down Cake Flour.  It just works for me.  This is the cake flour that my grandmother used to use and the one I was taught to use.


Whenever I spray my cake pans I use the Pam for baking spray.  I was taught to use butter and a little flour but this spray has both.


No comments:

Post a Comment